Monday, December 16, 2013

When Life is Unfair.

The Philippine Children’s Medical center (PCMC) is one of the main public hospitals for children with cancer. DOH has designated the PCMC to be one of the implementers of the government’s National Center for Pharmaceutical Access and Management (NCPAM) program, which provides free chemotherapy drugs to indigent patients. The battle against pediatric cancer is huge. The children need the support of everyone—from government agencies, to private companies, down to families and individuals.

I hate it. I hate everything about it. Children with cancer is just WRONG. 

My sister, Joan died of bone cancer when she was 12. I was 6 at that time. I remember kneeling in front of our little alter at home and praying for God to take me instead of her. I knew little about what death meant but I do remember praying for this. After a few minutes, I heard my mom wail. I knew that she was gone. December 10 is her 36th death anniversary. Until now, my heart hurts when I think about how much pain she felt.

So when I received an email from Gizelle Acero, asking me to be part of the Christmas outreach program to 20 children who are dealing with this disease, I did not hesitate.

I was given a list of what they need. 


But I do need help. 
I wouldn't ask if I can handle it on my own but 
I need blood donors. 

If you want to give love (and blood) this Christmas Season, please proceed to PCMC Blood Bank.(One drop, one hope program)

Anyway, I figured that the best way to put gifts together is by these plastic bags that you can buy in the market. They are strong enough to hold heavy things. Big enough for lots of items and cute enough to make the kids excited and happy. The parents love them too!







My sisters and I bought all sorts of activity books. I was told that the kids really look forward to reading and coloring. I am all for it since it keeps their minds active and imaginative.


On a crazy afternoon in 168, I was able to buy them the rest of what they needed. Thank you to my Yap Family for taking me. 

There's nothing fun about this visit but it is joyful to be able to bring about a smile from a child who's in physical and emotional pain. Seeing us also made their parents happy, even for a brief moment. That alone makes it worth every minute of our stay. 




This kid particularly touched my heart. He's three and a half years old. He has renal cancer. His mom told me that he has had numerous chemotherapy already but his body is already rejecting the medicine. She was in tears and when her son saw her crying, he started crying too. I told his mom to stay strong and to not show her son that she is sad. When she stopped, he stopped. Inside, I started to cry, but I too, had to be strong. She told me that they are just waiting. 

I asked her what I could do to help but she had no answer. At that moment, even if I have the capacity to help, I was helpless. It was me kneeling in front of the alter praying for my sister all over again. 

I got his mom's number because I want to help when the time comes. 


Thank you to Gizelle Acero for inviting me to be part of this heart-touching visit. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful heart you've got Ms. Candy...